Friday, February 15, 2008

Flowers and Hearts

Yesterday, February 14th, 2008, a friend happened to say something that called up a memory from my courtship with Karin, my wife. I gave my friend a lengthy response, and decided to whip it up into a blog entry, appropriate for Valentine's Day.

Then I heard the news.

And now, I wonder if some day I'll have grandchildren who will ask about the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, and whether my kids will answer them with the question, "Which one?"

Northern Illinois University is about a 30 minute drive from my house. I have friends with kids there, and I am quite sure many casual acquaintances with kids there. And I wonder what the news will bring, as more details become public.

There's really not much more I can add, except a request for prayers for the victims and survivors.

Including the gunman's family.

My friend Julie Hyzy has a student at NIU;
read her comments here.


jeq

Update, added 18 Feb 2008
Is it turns out, my daughter knew one of the victims.
Ryanne Mace was a few years ahead of my oldest, but they spoke
nearly daily in choir rehearsal. Ryanne's memorial service was today.
I'm told it was beautiful.
But there are many wounds yet to heal...

No comments: